Sunday, December 20, 2009

Avatar Rocks!!!!!



I want to be a Na'vi! I want to live in Pandora where I can go ride horses with 6 power legs and fly on the back of reptilian bird named Ikran! Planet Earth pales in comparison so make me a Na'vi NOW!

Well, if only it's real that is! But it's official, Avatar's the best movie I've watched this year in terms of overall dramatics. Coming from someone who don't normally relish mainstream Hollywood movie as much, it says a lot when I nominate Avatar as best. I thought I would crown The Inglorious Basterds to be the best movie I've watched for movie direction (well, it's a Tarantino after all) and Coco Avant Chanel for best movie screenplay, but Avatar really beat them, hands down. It's so hauntingly brilliant that after I got home from the show last night, I found myself surfing the net for Avatar information and learning the Na'vi names of all those funky creatures of Pandora! And I frantically texted and msn-ed my family in Hong Kong and ordering to go watch Avatar PRONTO! This morning when I woke up, I'm STILL thinking of the movie! (And oh, I also telling my ex-boyfriend that he actually looks a bit like the lead actor in Na'vi if I flatten his nose and paint him blue, sorry Roger, but it's really a compliment!) And of course it really does help heaps when the lead actor Sam Worthington is a hottie!

James Cameron came up with the idea and script in 1995 and could only make it all happen more than a decade later cos he was simply waiting for the computer graphic technology to be advance enough to do what he envisioned. And it's a wait worthwhile indeed.

Aside from the impressive graphics and special effects, Avatar is so emotionally charged and being someone who's a supporter of the green movement, I resonate with its underlying message of Na'vi's connection to their mother Earth Eywa, just like ours to Gaia, which has unfortunately taken a backseat to industrialization and mass destruction. I teared when the Na'vi's home tree (aka their habitat) got burnt down. I cringed when the humans attacked with ghastly violence. It's a fantasy world but yet, it flawlessly showcases human greed and selfishness while displaying a utopia world through James Cameron's vision of the Na'vi.

So yes, I'd like to be a Na'vi where they have strong connection with mother nature, where they live in harmony and respect the earth they live in, where everything works on bonding with the natural world, where they believe that everything's made of energy flow and whatever energy you have is borrowed and will have to be returned one day, where they mate for life (no more bastards behavior), and where everyone in the tribe is one and there's a strong sense of brotherhood devoid of the ubiquitous human selfishness. But unfortunately right now, I can only dream of the James Cameron make believe world...

Psssst...by the way, there's a Pandora "encyclopaedia", click here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally love the show!!! Did you catch the 3D one?

I cried a few times while watching. I know it's silly. But I can't help it when hometree was burnt to ground or when the Omaticaya were killed or running for their lives. Human race is such a disgrace!!!

I wanted to be a Na'vi ,too. NASA, please take me with yaaaa....!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails