Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Artist of the Week: Martina Topley-Bird


Okay, I haven't put up any music post for a bit and now I'd like to introduce one of my favorite vocalists Martina Topley-Bird (ok ok I do have a hell lot of erm, favorites)....She's a UK vocalist who first got noticed when she did the vocal works for trip hop veteran Tricky's first album (they were college friends) and she's been collaborating mostly with him until they fell out (they're rumoured to be dating after Tricky broke up with Bjork). After which, Martina started her own solo career and released her first solo album Quixotic in 2003 and her latest work is with another of my favorite trip hop group Massive Attack in 2009. She's got such lovely dreamy voice that's so soothing, airy and angelic...Her first album "Quixotic" pretty much describe her dreamy almost, surreal vocal quality...and it's a pity that she never got mainstream or gained much popularity...in UK, she's still doing okay in the Indie scene


Martina's debut album...yes, the one I paid $48 bucks to import in...damn it

In fact, she's so little known that when I first know about her in 2004, I went to HMV to look for Quixotic and they don't even have it listed there. I had to order it in and pay like 48 bucks for it. Ouch...and ever since my first order, they started getting her albums in...damn it...My all time favorite song from her is Lullaby, taken off her first album Quixotic...click here to listen to it....oh sooooo dreamy....it goes perfectly with the new frock I'm wearing--a frilly vintage looking navy blue frock with little kitsch prints of ponies...teamed with my favorite Mulberry Bayswater in oak brown.....yay, going to collect a dress tonight...internet purchase...I don't understand why they can't just pop it at my door cos nobody steals my mail at my place anyway! Such hassle! Ohhhh woe is meeeeeee! Anyway, check out the rest of Martina's songs on youtube too! Oh check this out too....it's Baby Blue from her third album The Blue God....click here to listen....retro...again...goes with my vintage looking frock...

P.S Ohhhh one more you have to listen to! It's called Sand Paper Kisses....click here...the kind of moody dark broody music I totally dig....good to make out to...hahaha...baby-making music...woot!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails