Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year, New Quote

First day of the year and I feel compelled to write something more intellectual but alas! That blister between my ears hasn't got much cerebral power today...(and that blister's a bit disappointed by Sherlock Holmes movie cos it's supposed to be a totally smashing movie but it's really just very very average...but then Robert Downey Jr is smoking hot....awww)

But the other day while I was re-reading one of my favorite books, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, I was again reminded of this really great quote that one of the characters inside said and it's awesome...it's totally not the most optimistic thing but well, I'm not exactly a lover of the new year's day so, I naturally don't feel obliged to come up with something happy shiny and plastic...but this quote is painfully realistic...and here it goes

Author Ayn Rand with King Vidor (left) and Gary Cooper (right) who acted in the Fountainhead movie

"Men differ in their virtues, if any, but they're alike in their vices" -- Gail Wynand, The Fountainhead



"If you make people perform a noble duty, it bores them. If you make them indulge themselves, it shames them, but combine the two and you've got them" -- Gail Wynand, The Fountainhead

How true! Yes, no, maybe? And just a bit of background. Gail Wynand is a character who's the boss of a media empire and he's a bit of a very difficult, stoic and cynical man.....There's so much truth to the two quotes above...and I love it so much...mostly cos I generally have a hatred for mankind cos I think we're a disgrace (read my previous post here)...but think about it, it's nothing cynical or anything, the quote IS factual...and that's precisely why I love it...Thought I'd share it with you on New Year's Day! Happy new year everyone!

2 comments:

j said...

the quote is really priceless b...hey u need to teach me the art of reading...j

B said...

It's one of my favorite quotes cos it's so true...well I already gave you a book, didn't I? You need patience and reading and literature is something to be cultivated....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails