Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goldie Oldies!!

Under the influence of Ah Meow (cos she asked me to help her get the dead singer, Danny Chan's, CD collection in Hong Kong), I somehow got into a Canto nostalgia mood earlier and suddenly thought of all the classic Canto pop songs of the early 80s that very much defined the ching-chong music choices of my childhood!! Ohhh those good old days! And the four key singers that epitomize the golden 80s era have got to be Anita Mui, Leslie Cheung, Alan Tam and Danny Chan.

clockwise from top left: Anita Mui, Leslie Cheung, Danny Chan, Alan Tam
Oh dear, it's so damn telling of my age but then they're the ultimate and I've found some of their good stuff on you tube! I've chosen ONE song per artist and it's the song I remember them by....ohhhh my childhood.....I remember back then it's usually split between two camps of either you're an Alan Tam or Leslie Cheung fan and I was Team Leslie! And Leslie Cheung was my favorite then because he looked very much like my grand father (I should go do a picture-to-picture comparo) and his songs kick ass (I remember my Uncle Vincent made me dance to his songs while I visited him in Singapore and I was dancing like a psycho). And then I love Anita Mui too and I can sing most of her old songs hahahaha!! But the sad thing is....3 out of 4 of these singers are dead :( Alan Tam was the only surviving one....Danny Chan killed himself (I used to have a crush on him cos he's cute), Anita Mui died of Cervical Cancer, and Leslie Cheung killed himself......sigh....but nonetheless, here are the good songs from them....click on to listen....

Anita Mui
赤的疑惑 (translate: the doubt of red)

Leslie Cheung
Monica

Alan Tam
愛在深秋 (translate: Love in Autumn)

Danny Chan
偏偏喜歡你 (translate: I JUST like you)....Ah Meow loves this...and she hums to it a lot

Just an end note on something funny....during my Golden Triangle Drug tour....I overheard a conversation between a mom and her 8-year-old daughter from this other family and it's quite funny.....

Daughter: Mom mom! I got Eason Chan's songs on my mobile phone...do you like Eason Chan?
Mom: He's so-so...okay I guess
Daughter: Then what kind of singers do you like?
Mom: Well, the ones I like are dead though...
Daughter: Huh? Like who?
Mom: Like Anita Mui, Leslie Cheung and Danny Chan
Daughter: Oh, so it means if Eason Chan is dead, you'd like him more?
Mom: -_-
LOL...........

2 comments:

master yeoda said...

very classic. i like those singers too. such good songs and good lyrics.

i like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GqZ7iFBcFM

B said...

The old singers are so much better! New ones simply don't have that star quality really! Or are we simply starting to show our age here?? :s

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails