Wednesday, December 22, 2010

You Like?

A couple of weeks ago, some very depressed and heart broken suicidal guy on Facebook stated in his FB status that he'd like to take his own life in about 45 minutes, completed with a teary photo of himself. Then guess what? 204 "friends" actually "Like" his status and indeed, 45 minutes later, he threw himself out of the window and his lifeless body sprawled over a car.  Click here to read the full news.


Disturbing cos why would you actually "Like" someone's suicide note???? What kind of person actually "Like" someone's facebook suicide note? Instead of talking him out of taking his own life or offering him whatever words of comfort, they "Like" his suicide note. How cruel!

It's not the first time that I wonder how would anyone "Like" someone's bad news status cos some time ago, I actually said that I got bitten by sand flies all over my legs and have scars and itchy bites all over and guess what? There are actually people who "Like" my status. Erm...why do people actually "Like" someone's misfortune? I don't get it. And when the suicide of this depressed boy happened, I really think people in general are cruel. Yes, nobody would pay to see your happiness but to actually relish on someone's misfortune is really quite low. Seriously, have a heart....the human race is already an enough of a disgrace, so yeah, have a heart...

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

i felt very strongly over this post. i can certainly felt your disheartening emotions over human disgrace ..i myself have similar experience. lately my bad back pain relapse (due to my post delivery complication) and i was chatting with my BEST friend (bold it..then u know how close we are haha) ok , so as i was chatting and trying to hide my own insecurity of my back pain and share with my best friend at the same time, she said in an excitedly tone manner "oh, is it? tell me more, tell me more?" (as if what?! u hear andy lau is coming to singapore?!) as woman right, we do are smart to take context out of people tone, body gesture or the pitch of voice and i really figure that instead of she is really concern over my condition, i felt she want to get more juicy news as if anticipating some paparazzi. u see, if someone really cares, they will frown or give a sad look (i mean we can tell one) and not reacted in excitedly, eye lit up mood to hear more about your problem. in a way, i also think even the so called Best friend has their flaw not to mention bad people who gloat over over others' misfortune by "like".

sigh. so you are so right. we must learn to love ourselves first so if all else fail, at least we have ourselves to "like"

merry christmas and i really do enjoy reading your posts really reflective. i love thinking posts! :)

Anonymous said...

well i (and some others i know) learnt the hard way that posting anything quick online is just going to be misinterpreted 90% of the time, so best to just not post at all.

u never know; maybe 'likes' in the above context just means that most people agree with him that life sucks. --hl

B said...

Hey Tiffany, sorry to hear about your back problem. Yeah, I think it's shit that your bestie actually seemed excited to hear about your back pain. It's just not nice..Do take care though. You might want to consider doing yoga cos some yoga's good for relieving back aches...

@HL, yeah I know...but sometimes you do want to vent on the cyberspace and for that dude, well, he wanna die and kill himself. Yes, maybe they misinterpreted it but why didn't anyone offer some words of comfort???

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails