Sunday, January 16, 2011

Artsy weekend....

I had an artsy weekend and I'm feeling kinda inspired now...First, on Friday, I went to an art exhibition at Art Space at Tanjong Pagar Distri Park and it's a collection of contemporary Asian arts and it's not as bad as I thought! Here are some shots I've taken...

This piece named "Choir" has got 1000 different clay figurines all with a different facial expressions all singing songs...some sad, some happy....

Closer look....very cool...It's got opera music playing and it's as if the whole team of clay figurines is singing to us...and the funny thing was, some opera singer who was also a patron went up to me and Mr Bunny and started singing loudly in our face and she told us she's an opera singer...freaky but hey, that woman really could sing!

My second favorite, this is by an Indonesian artist Agus Suwage and it's a gold skeleton bathing in a bucket of rice grains, depicting the decadence of consumerism... pretty well expressed

This one is about war back when German Shepard dogs were used as "suicide bombers" and you need a timer on top of each of them, indicating when they're gonna explode...

This is my favorite piece! It's a very very long panels of boxes with lighted pictures behind. They're all famous paintings of well-known artists or important figures and personality...And on top of the viewing space, say half a meter away, the entire ceiling was hanging with speakers of different shapes and sizes and it had sound bits, music corresponding to the visual in front...I couldn't take a picture of it cos it's too dark

Recognize that? It's the famous diamond and skull by British shock artist Damien Hirst, who happened to be having dinner with my aunt the night before together with Shanghai Tang's David Tang in Hong Kong....Damn it, I would want to meet Damien Hirst! Other than Hirst, there were also pieces from Picasso, Gustav Klimt, Monet, the usual suspects from the classical world and even pop and contemporary artists like Yoshimoto Nara whose work I would LOVE to collect..

Ohhhh see that? John Lennon and Yoko Ono (who happened to be our family friend....long story)

So that was Friday....It was a lovely time cos I really liked what I saw and the last piece, which is the long panel light installation, would make a very very backdrop for a quirky boutique hotel lobby...
Then today, I managed to catch the last day of Art Stage at the Marina Bay Sands....it's awesome! It's got some pretty good classics from Picasso and modern contemporary artists too...I've taken some shots of some of those I love. Didn't take pictures of everything but I only snapped those I find interesting...

This is an awesome 3D photo montage!! If you look closer, they're all assembled by little squares of actual photographs and they're put together to make it 3D. Very nice

Another one by the same artist

Now one for the wall

This is an awesome sculpture that has a bit of optical illusion cos it looks like the head gets increasingly squashed...you can't really see it here but the actual thing really fucks with your vision a bit

Another angle

A  big installation of giant ants with lights as their heads...pretty cool...

Ohhh sculptures of the two characters of one of my favorite Iranian movies, Children of Heaven! I don't think it's particularly brilliant but I love the movie

I couldn't resist snapping this picture...Two of my favorite things! Books and Cats and it's even got one of my favorite books too, A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Now this is my second favorite...fucking brilliant! This is entirely made of mesh wire...how they made that baby in the center I'm not sure how...but I'm so captivated by it...

Here's another baby...

Ohhhh and the instrument I play! The cello! I WANT THIS!!!

And this is my 3rd favorite....these little figures are made from old vinyl records...very nice and colorful and definitely creative...

Ahhh and this is a super cute one cos the little yellow jumper is for a giraffe! It's called "A gift for giraffe"! What a cute concept! Like wake up one morning and go like "ohhh I shall make a gift for a giraffe!"

AND NOW.....MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FROM THE SHOW.....tadaaaa It's sculptures made from stacking books together by this Taiwanese artist Chen Long-Bin who's now based in the US. He made a series of Buddha sculptures using old books and phone books....it's freaking amazing!!!! I couldn't stop marveling at it cos to begin with, the Buddha's heads are so very well sculpted and to know what it's made from one of my favorite things in the world, ie. Books, it's even more fascinating! How clever...I would really want to buy one!

You can see from the back that it's all phone books....

Now this is the magnificent front view of the sculpted buddha head using a stack of books

Take a closer look, here're all the book spines you see....

Now this is the tower of a series of Buddha's heads using books of different sizes and colors and I'm sooo very interested in buying this...and it's going at $42,000 USD...not really THAT bad

Take a closer look....it's so nice....

So that's about all the really interesting ones that I've taken....I saw a very very nice Frank Auerbach's painting and I didn't bother taking a snap shot of it after asking how much it is cos it's just demoralising to know that it was sold at over $400,000 USD!!! OMG! 

You know what? I really wish I have so much money that I'll be an art collector....and I'd like the work from the followings:
  • Frank Auerbach
  • Mark Ryden
  • Yoshitomo Nara
  • Johan Vermeer
  • Gustav Klimt
  • Picasso
That's all....not very ambitious but still, it's so freaking hard to achieve cos they're so freaking expensive....can someone gimme some please????




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails